This is probably the most popular question at my wedding consultations. As a professional photographer, an engagement session is not an absolute necessity for me, but I see a lot of benefits for my clients to do an engagement photography session with me. Here are my 5 top reasons why an engagement session with your actual wedding photographer is important:.
- It’s a great way for us to get to know each other. All photographers shoot differently, have very different personalities, and different techniques to direct our clients. Your engagement photography session is a great opportunity to get to know your wedding photographer, and for your wedding photographer to get to know you two. This way, you will be comfortable with each other on your actual wedding day.
- It’s for both of you to get comfortable in front of the camera. Most of us do not have professional photography sessions on a regular basis so this experience is often new. So it is a great occasion to practice and get comfortable in front of the camera.
- It’s the perfect occasion to do a hair and makeup trial run. You want to look your absolute best on your wedding day, and this is the perfect opportunity for you to see how your hair and makeup will look in photos. Although, you may want to give yourself some extra time in case you don’t like your hair and make up and need adjustments.
- It’s fun! Unlike your wedding day, your engagement session does not have a strict timeline that you have to follow. It’s like a date but you will have beautiful photos to remember that date for many years to come.
- A special moment in time captured, forever. These are the moments just before the two of you embark on a life long journey together. This is where your dreams and hopes begin. They are are beautiful, intimate, and carefree. Photos are not just for today but they’re also for the future. These photos are for you two to look back many years from now and remember the special moments.
Each client is different and each photographer is different. The 5 reasons are based on my own personal experiences with my own clients. You can see the original article with photos on James Tang Photography, Is An Engagement Photography Session Necessary?
James Tang is a hybrid (analog and digital) portrait and wedding photographer based in Southern California. He’s also a co-founder of OutdoorBrides.com.